According to best-medical-schools, West Fargo, North Dakota is situated in the Red River Valley and lies at the intersection of two major highways, Interstate 94 and Interstate 29. The city is located about 15 miles west of Fargo and 20 miles east of Moorhead, Minnesota. The Red River Valley provides a humid continental climate with warm summers and cold winters. Average temperatures range from 8°F in January to 77°F in July.
The city of West Fargo has a rich history that dates back to the early 1800s when it was founded by settlers from Norway. It was incorporated as a town in 1876 and as a city in 1926. The economy of West Fargo is largely based on agriculture, but there are also several large businesses such as Microsoft, John Deere and Frito-Lay who have established their headquarters here.
West Fargo is served by the West Fargo Public School District which includes four elementary schools, two middle schools, one high school and one alternative education center. There are also numerous private schools located within the district.
One of West Fargo’s most popular landmarks is Bonanzaville USA which is an interactive museum complex dedicated to preserving local history through artifacts and interactive exhibits. There are also a number of parks throughout the city such as Lindenwood Park which features walking trails, picnic areas, playgrounds and basketball courts for visitors to enjoy year round. The historic downtown area features several restaurants, shops and galleries for visitors to explore during their stay in West Fargo.
Population: 14,940. Estimated population in July 2020: 19,487 (+30.4% change)
Males: 7,371 (49.3%), Females: 7,569 (50.7%)
Zip code: 58078
Median resident age: 32.3 years
Median household income: $44,542
Median house value: $97,500
Races in West Fargo:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.8%)
- American Indian (1.5%)
- Hispanic (1.4%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- Other race (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (47.9%), Norwegian (39.7%), Irish (8.3%), Swedish (7.2%), French (5.2%), English (4.8%).
Elevation: 900 feet
Land area: 7.3 square miles
West Fargo, North Dakota is a growing city located in the eastern part of the state. According to the latest census, the population of West Fargo is estimated to be around 36,000 people. The city has a diverse population with a mix of different ethnicities and backgrounds. The majority of the population is white (80%), followed by Hispanic (14%), Native American (3%) and African American (2%). The median age in West Fargo is 33 years old, with a median household income of $63,876.
West Fargo has seen an increase in population growth over the last decade due to its close proximity to major cities like Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota as well as its abundance of job opportunities. The city also has excellent public schools and a variety of recreational activities for residents to enjoy such as biking trails, parks, golf courses and more. Additionally, West Fargo offers a variety of housing options ranging from single-family homes and apartments to townhouses and condos for those looking for more affordable living options. With its diverse population and abundance of resources, it’s no wonder why West Fargo is one of the fastest growing cities in North Dakota.
For population 25 years and over in West Fargo
- High school or higher: 90.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 22.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.3%
- Unemployed: 3.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in West Fargo city
- Never married: 25.7%
- Now married: 60.1%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 3.9%
- Divorced: 9.4%
1.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +2,550 (+20.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near West Fargo:
- INNOVIS HEALTH (about 6 miles; FARGO, ND)
- PRAIRIE PSYCHIATRIC CENTER (about 6 miles; FARGO, ND)
- SCCI HOSPITAL – FARGO (about 6 miles; FARGO, ND)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to West Fargo:
- HECTOR INTL (about 8 miles; FARGO, ND; Abbreviation: FAR)
- GRAND FORKS INTL (about 76 miles; GRAND FORKS, ND; Abbreviation: GFK)
- THIEF RIVER FALLS REGIONAL (about 95 miles; THIEF RIVER FALLS, MN; Abbreviation: TVF)
Other public-use airports nearest to West Fargo:
- WEST FARGO UTILITY (about 3 miles; FARGO, ND; Abbreviation: D54)
- MOORHEAD MUNI (about 18 miles; MOORHEAD, MN; Abbreviation: JKJ)
- HAMRY FIELD (about 18 miles; KINDRED, ND; Abbreviation: K74)
Amtrak station near West Fargo:
- 8 miles: FARGO (420 4TH ST. N). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to West Fargo:
- NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 7 miles; FARGO, ND; Full-time enrollment: 8,836)
- MINNESOTA STATE UNIVERSITY-MOORHEAD (about 27 miles; MOORHEAD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 6,400)
- CONCORDIA COLLEGE AT MOORHEAD (about 27 miles; MOORHEAD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,771)
- NORTH DAKOTA STATE COLLEGE OF SCIENCE (about 46 miles; WAHPETON, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,176)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 74 miles; GRAND FORKS, ND; Full-time enrollment: 9,935)
- NORTHWEST TECHNICAL COLLEGE-BEMIDJI (about 147 miles; BEMIDJI, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,761)
- BEMIDJI STATE UNIVERSITY (about 147 miles; BEMIDJI, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,562)
Public high school in West Fargo:
- WEST FARGO HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,585; Location: 801 9TH ST E; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in West Fargo:
- WEST FARGO MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 823; Location: 109 3RD ST E; Grades: 07 – 08)
- SOUTH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 617; Location: 117 6TH AVE W; Grades: 01 – 06)
- EASTWOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 606; Location: 500 10TH AVE E; Grades: 01 – 06)
- L E BERGER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 525; Location: 631 4TH AVE E; Grades: 01 – 06)
- WESTSIDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 483; Location: 945 7TH AVE W; Grades: PK – 06)
- EARLY CHILDHOOD CENTER (Students: 432; Location: 330 3RD AVE E; Grades: PK – KG)
- WEST FARGO SPEC ED UNIT (Location: 207 MAIN AVE W; Grades: 00 – 00)
Library in West Fargo:
- WEST FARGO PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $177,416; Location: 401 SEVENTH STREET EAST; 61,000 books; 1,753 audio materials; 1,245 video materials; 138 serial subscriptions)