According to Babyinger, Wahkon, Minnesota is a picturesque city located on the edge of Mille Lacs Lake in central Minnesota. The city is surrounded by rolling hills, thick forests, and sparkling lakes which make it a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts. The climate in Wahkon is moderate with cold winters and warm summers. Snowfall can be heavy during the winter months, making it ideal for winter sports like skiing and snowmobiling.
The history of Wahkon dates back to the 1700s when French fur traders first explored the area. In 1839, a trading post was established which grew into an important hub for travel and trade in the region. Today, Wahkon remains an important center of commerce and culture in central Minnesota. Politically, Wahkon is part of Aitkin County and is represented at the state level by Senator Paul Gazelka.
The economy of Wahkon is largely based on tourism due to its natural beauty and recreational opportunities on Mille Lacs Lake. Visitors come to enjoy fishing, camping, hiking, boating, snowmobiling and other outdoor activities throughout the year. In addition to tourism dollars, local businesses include small retail stores as well as restaurants and lodges catering to visitors from around the world.
Education in Wahkon is provided by two public schools: Onamia Elementary School and Onamia High School which serve students from kindergarten through twelfth grade respectively. The schools are part of a larger network of schools within Aitkin County that provide students with educational opportunities that are tailored to individual needs as well as career paths for those looking to pursue higher education after graduation from high school.
Finally, some landmarks associated with Wahkon include Fort William Historical Park which features a replica fort from 1839; Wabana State Park which offers camping sites with access to Mille Lacs Lake; Father Baraga’s Cross Monument honoring Father Baraga who was an early missionary in this area; and Fish Lake Regional Park which offers hiking trails along with swimming beaches and boat launches for visitors who want to explore this beautiful part of Minnesota’s northwoods country.
Population: 314. Estimated population in July 2020: 339 (+8.0% change)
Males: 167 (53.2%), Females: 147 (46.8%)
Mille Lacs County
Zip code: 56386
Median resident age: 47.6 years
Median household income: $22,321
Median house value: $74,100
Races in Wahkon:
- White Non-Hispanic (92.4%)
- American Indian (6.4%)
- Hispanic (1.0%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (25.2%), Norwegian (17.5%), Irish (14.6%), Swedish (8.6%), English (5.1%), French (2.9%).
Elevation: 1270 feet
Land area: 1.0 square miles
Wahkon, Minnesota is a small city located in the eastern part of the state, near Mille Lacs Lake. With a population of just over 500 people, Wahkon is a quiet and peaceful place to live. The majority of the population is Caucasian, with some Native American and Hispanic individuals making up a small portion. The median age of the population is 41 years old, but there are many young families living in the community as well. Education levels tend to be higher than average for Minnesota towns, with almost 40% of adults having earned at least a bachelor’s degree or higher.
The economy in Wahkon is largely driven by tourism and fishing on Mille Lacs Lake and its surrounding areas. As such, many local businesses cater to these industries including restaurants, marinas, bait shops and sporting goods stores. There are also several small manufacturing businesses that employ locals as well as providing goods for sale in the town’s shops. In addition to these businesses, there are many small family farms that produce fruits and vegetables for sale in local markets. The city also has several churches which provide spiritual guidance to residents as well as community activities such as Bible studies or youth programs.
For population 25 years and over in Wahkon
- High school or higher: 83.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.7%
- Unemployed: 8.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wahkon city
- Never married: 16.1%
- Now married: 47.1%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 16.1%
- Divorced: 19.0%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +117 (+59.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Wahkon:
- MILLE LACS HEALTH SYSTEM (about 11 miles; ONAMIA, MN)
- KANABEC HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; MORA, MN)
- RIVERWOOD HEALTHCARE CENTER (about 29 miles; AITKIN, MN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wahkon:
- BRAINERD LAKES RGNL (about 47 miles; BRAINERD, MN; Abbreviation: BRD)
- ST CLOUD REGIONAL (about 55 miles; ST CLOUD, MN; Abbreviation: STC)
- GRAND RAPIDS/ITASCA CO-GORDON NEWSTROM FLD (about 75 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MN; Abbreviation: GPZ)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wahkon:
- MORA MUNI (about 25 miles; MORA, MN; Abbreviation: JMR)
- MILACA MUNI (about 26 miles; MILACA, MN; Abbreviation: 18Y)
- BIRCH LAKE (about 26 miles; DEERWOOD, MN; Abbreviation: M69)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wahkon:
- CENTRAL LAKES COLLEGE-BRAINERD (about 48 miles; BRAINERD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,364)
- SAINT CLOUD TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 61 miles; ST CLOUD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,183)
- SAINT CLOUD STATE UNIVERSITY (about 63 miles; ST CLOUD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 12,913)
- ANOKA-RAMSEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 68 miles; COON RAPIDS, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,627)
- HENNEPIN TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 71 miles; BROOKLYN PARK, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,138)
- NORTH HENNEPIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 71 miles; BROOKLYN PARK, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,097)
- BETHEL COLLEGE (about 76 miles; ST PAUL, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,787)