According to Allpubliclibraries, Rockford, Ohio is a small city located in the northwest corner of the state and situated along the banks of the Auglaize River. The city is primarily surrounded by farmland and rural areas, with some small towns nearby. The climate in Rockford is typical for Ohio, with four distinct seasons and precipitation throughout the year. The summers are hot and humid with temperatures often reaching into the high 90s, while winters are cold and snowy with temperatures regularly dipping below freezing.
Rockford was first settled in 1845 by a group of German immigrants who were seeking religious freedom from persecution in their homeland. Over time, many other people from different backgrounds moved to Rockford as well. This diversity has helped shape the city’s culture and history, which can be seen today in its many churches, businesses, restaurants, and schools. Politically speaking, Rockford is a predominantly Republican area that typically votes conservatively.
Economically speaking, Rockford is known for its many manufacturing companies that specialize in automotive parts as well as other products such as furniture and textiles. These businesses have been an important part of Rockford’s economy since its founding days and continue to be so today. In addition to these industries, Rockford also has several small retail stores as well as a few larger chain retailers that provide employment opportunities for local residents.
When it comes to education in Rockford there are several options available to students ranging from public schools to private institutions both at the elementary level through high school level education. There are also some post-secondary educational opportunities available within a short distance from town such as Ohio Northern University located about an hour away in Ada or Wright State University located about two hours away near Dayton.
Lastly there are some notable landmarks around town including the historic Auglaize River Bridge built in 1910 which serves as a reminder of early settlers who made their home here; St Mary’s Church built in 1856 which stands tall at the center of town; or perhaps most notably the beautiful Fountain Park located along Main Street just off downtown which features an old-fashioned bandstand where concerts are held during summer months and festivals throughout year round.
Population: 1,126. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,118 (-0.7% change)
Males: 524 (46.5%), Females: 602 (53.5%)
Zip code: 45882
Median resident age: 36.2 years
Median household income: $37,574
Median house value: $65,700
Races in Rockford:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.7%)
- Hispanic (1.5%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (54.4%), Irish (12.5%), English (8.0%), United States (4.6%), Dutch (2.1%), Polish (2.0%).
Land area: 0.6 square miles
Rockford, Ohio is a small town located in Mercer County, Ohio. It has a population of approximately 1,200 people. The population is made up of mostly older adults and families with children. The median age of the town is 35 years old. Most residents are employed in local businesses or commute to nearby cities for work. The majority of the population is Caucasian but there are a few African-American and Hispanic families living in Rockford as well. There are several churches in the area that offer religious services to the community, including Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, and Baptist churches. There are also several parks and recreational areas that provide opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking, swimming, fishing, and camping. Education is important to the citizens of Rockford as there are two elementary schools and one middle school within its borders. Additionally, there is a library located in town for students and members of the public to use for research or leisure reading. Rockford also has a variety of businesses including restaurants, shops, banks, gas stations and other services which provide employment opportunities for many local residents. All in all Rockford is a small but vibrant community with many different types of people from all walks of life living side-by-side peacefully while enjoying all that this quaint little town has to offer!
For population 25 years and over in Rockford
- High school or higher: 79.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.8%
- Unemployed: 2.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rockford village
- Never married: 26.1%
- Now married: 55.5%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 7.6%
- Divorced: 9.8%
0.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -14 (-1.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Rockford:
- VAN WERT COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; VAN WERT, OH)
- MERCER CO JOINT TOWNSHIP COMM HOSP (about 15 miles; COLDWATER, OH)
- JOINT TOWNSHIP DISTRICT MEMORIAL HOSP (about 21 miles; SAINT MARYS, OH)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Rockford:
- FORT WAYNE INTERNATIONAL (about 42 miles; FORT WAYNE, IN; Abbreviation: FWA)
- DELAWARE COUNTY – JOHNSON FIELD (about 60 miles; MUNCIE, IN; Abbreviation: MIE)
- JAMES M COX DAYTON INTL (about 63 miles; DAYTON, OH; Abbreviation: DAY)
Other public-use airports nearest to Rockford:
- VAN WERT COUNTY (about 12 miles; VAN WERT, OH; Abbreviation: VNW)
- GRAND LAKE ST MARYS (about 16 miles; ST MARYS, OH; Abbreviation: O12)
- LAKEFIELD (about 16 miles; CELINA, OH; Abbreviation: CQA)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rockford:
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY-PURDUE UNIVERSITY-FORT WAYNE (about 43 miles; FT WAYNE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 7,385)
- OHIO NORTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 58 miles; ADA, OH; Full-time enrollment: 3,161)
- IVY TECH STATE COLLEGE-EAST CENTRAL (about 63 miles; MUNCIE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,013)
- BALL STATE UNIVERSITY (about 63 miles; MUNCIE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 17,039)
- WRIGHT STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 70 miles; DAYTON, OH; Full-time enrollment: 11,734)
- INDIANA WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (about 71 miles; MARION, IN; Full-time enrollment: 6,684)
- SINCLAIR COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 72 miles; DAYTON, OH; Full-time enrollment: 10,577)
Public high school in Rockford:
- PARKWAY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 362; Location: 401 S FRANKLIN ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Rockford:
- PARKWAY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 348; Location: 401 S FRANKLIN ST; Grades: PK – 02)
Library in Rockford:
- ROCKFORD CARNEGIE LIBRARY (Operating income: $259,881; Location: 162 S. MAIN ST.; 19,614 books; 540 audio materials; 1,431 video materials; 80 serial subscriptions)