While we wait for the arrival of autonomous cars and the famous Project Titan Apple, can calm the appetite for a more intelligent and connected with CarPlay car. It is the solution for the connected car has been designed by Apple for its iPhone users. The system was initially presented as “iOS in the car” at WWDC in 2013, being simply renamed CarPlay in 2014 Geneva Motor salon. Subsequently, in the WWDC of 2016 CarPlay received fairly significant developments.
Its origin goes back to iOS 4 and was called ‘iPod Out’, a solution developed in conjunction with BMW for years to provide a video and audio output Apple devices. In these three years of CarPlay, there are interesting options for those who want to buy a car in Spain.
What can you do with CarPlay
Before enter and see the different options to take our car is very well with our iPhone, we need to ask ourselves: What does us CarPlay driving? The short answer would be as follows: apps. And among which come from series and third parties, we will have a small but very well suited for the car range:
- Messaging: send and receive messages through the official app from Apple, where we can both send SMS as iMessages.
- Calls: the same, make and receive calls through the hands free system integrated into your vehicle.
- Maps: perhaps most useful of all, which will lead us to our destination (at the moment, is only available for it in CarPlay app).
- Music: you hear your music library as well as any track, list or artist which is found at Apple Music.
- Other apps: mainly focused on music, radio and audio books. There are a total of 12, and among them are apps from third parties such as Spotify, Overcast, Vox, or Audible, as well as Podcasts and audiobooks of Apple app.
It is interesting to see how Spotify is CarPlay, something that indicates that in the future we may see the arrival of Google Maps to the system
Depending on the equipment installed CarPlay, we will have several methods to handle it. From a touch screen to the Classic buttons and controls a team entertainment in the car. But what really stands out in the proposal for Apple in our vehicle is Siri. With the virtual assistant of Apple we can send, receive and read messages, make and answer calls, ask him to guide us to a particular location and that play the music you want.
The vehicle is connected using a cable Lightning, although there are some models that are beginning to turn the wireless. Each method has pros and cons, the main being the comfort or recharge the battery. If you want to know first hand how it is use CarPlay (and Android Auto system), Engadget partners able to test both in a Volkswagen Touran.
CarPlay in Spain: cars and compatible models
If queries the web of CarPlay in Spain, you will find numerous models and companies that provide support. The more typical of our country makes and models with support for the Apple connected car are (the year determines the first compatible model):
- Audi: A3, A4, A5, Q2, Q7 and TT of the year 2017.
- BMW: Series 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, X 3, X 4, X 5, X 6 year 2017.
- Chrysler: 300 year 2017.
- Citroën: C3, C4 and C5, Berlingo Multispace from 2016.
- DS (premium brand of Groupe PSA): 3 DS, DS 3 DS 4, cabrio, DS5 from 2016.
- Ford: Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, c-Max, the year 2017 Mustang.
- KIA: Optima, Sorento and Sportage year 2017 Forte5 Cadenza.
- Mercedes: Class A, class B, class E convertible, E-class Coupe, CLS, GLA, CLA and GLE from 2016.
- Mitsubishi: Montero, Montero Sport from 2016 and Mirage G4 and Space Star 2017.
- Nissan: Micra.
- Opel: Mokka, Astra, Corsa and logo from 2016.
- Peugeot: 208, Partner Tepee from 2016.
- Porsche: 718, 911, Cayenne, Macan and Panamera in the year 2017.
- Seat: Alhambra, Ibiza, Leon and Toledo from 2016 and 2017 year Ateca.
- Skoda: Fabia, Octavia, Rapid, Superb and Yeti from 2016.
- Subaru: Impreza of the year 2017.
- Suzuki: SX4 S-CROSS Baleno, Grand Vitara from 2016.
- Volkswagen: Beetle, CC, Golf (in various “flavors”), Jetta, Passat, Polo, Scirocco, Sharan, Tiguan and Touran from 2016.
- Volvo: XC90 from 2016, S90 and V90 for the year 2017.
There are many more models, but brands or typical versions in other countries. In total, Apple claims to be more than 100 CarPlay-compatible models and expect more signings in the future.
CarPlay equipment for the car you already have
If you don’t have planned to buy a car soon but want to enjoy the possibilities of CarPlay, there are some manufacturers that have a solution. It is of the Apple’s system-compatible head units. The idea is that when you connect your iPhone via a Lightning cable radio, this automatically reflects CarPlay interface.
It is not an ideal solution since some space in the hollow of the radio is required to accommodate the touch screen and other controls. Nor is integrated in the car and Siri button on the steering wheel as it is the case with some models. And, in addition, often dealt with expensive equipment. But at least one has the possibility of ‘doing’ more intelligent your vehicle. These are the current manufacturers:
- Alpine, with its model ILX-700 (approximately 575 euros at Amazon).
- Kenwood, with six models compatible.
- Pioneer, with up to 15 compatible models (this model costs 389 euros at Amazon).
- Sony, does not appear on the official website of CarPlay, but has this model on Amazon for 470 euros.
It should be noted that both these teams as they are integrated, the weight of the platform implementation is exercised from our iPhone. It should also be noted that some vehicles and systems are cross-platform and supports both CarPlay as Android Auto and MirrorLink.